Winter Driving Tips 2017
Winter is just around the corner, and with that comes snow, ice, and freezing conditions. Many people need time to re-acclimate to winter driving, but luckily for you we’ve got some great tips right here to get you back into the winter mindset on the road!
Read More: Drive safely at night following these tips!
Winter 2017 Driving Tips for Safety
Follow these tips to increase your safety on the roads when the snow flies!
- Take your time speeding up. Your vehicle might have a hard time gaining traction on snowy or icy roads, so moving slowly will help you avoid skidding or sliding all over the road.
- Be especially cautious with slowing down. It takes longer to slow down on icy or snowy roads, so make sure you start braking with plenty of time in case you slide a bit. A good rule of thumb to follow is to make sure you can see the tires of the vehicle stopped in front of you when you come to a complete stop.
- Keep your gas tank half-full. Keeping the tank half-full will help you avoid condensation in the gas line.
- Keep an emergency car kit in your vehicle that includes winter items like a hat, gloves, boots, jacket, snowpants and shovel.
- Make sure you only heat up your vehicle outside, never in an enclosed space, like a garage. The fumes from your vehicle are dangerous in enclosed spaces.
- Check the weather before long trips. If the weather is bad, avoid traveling until it clears up. For your safety, try to let at least one person know your travel plans including your route, departure time and estimated arrival time.
Wherever this winter and holiday season takes you, remember your safety is the most important thing. If you are looking for service or maintenance on your vehicle before a trip, bring your car in to Allan Nott Auto!