Tips for driving safely at night
The days are getting shorter, which means many people will be doing a lot more driving at night. For many people, driving at night is stressful because it can impact their depth perception, peripheral vision and overall ability to see objects around them. Following these tips for driving at night can help you stay safe on the roads!
Nighttime Driving Tips
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, fatalities on the road are three times more likely at night than they are during the day. That means that driving safely at night is incredibly important to avoid accidents. Check out these tips!
- Make sure your headlights are aimed correctly at the road. Sometimes, even in new cars, headlights can be uneven or pointed higher or lower than is necessary. Your car’s owner’s manual should include instructions on how to aim them correctly.
- Keep the interior of your vehicle dark. Most cars come with a dashboard dimmer switch, so use it! Operating with the dashboard lights on full blast can compromise your forward vision by distracting you with reflections and brightness.
- Keep your vision clear. Don’t buy into the hype that yellow-tinted sunglasses will enhance your vision at night, and if you do wear glasses make sure to get the right prescription and get anti-reflective lenses to see clearly.
- Keep an eye out for animals. The best way to spot an animal on the road ahead is to look out for their eyes. The light from your headlights will be seen in the animal’s eyes long before you will see the rest of its body. So if you see two tiny bright spots ahead of you, proceed with caution. And when encountering large animals, like deer, it is best to brake as fast as you can. If you try to swerve around them, they will likely follow your headlights and move in front of you anyway.
- Don’t look at oncoming headlights. While the brightness of oncoming traffic can be a stark difference to the darkness around you, it can affect your vision long after the traffic passes, increasing the danger for an accident or mishap.
Following these tips will help you stay safe on the road at night! If your vehicle is in need of service or repairs, come to Allan Nott Auto today!