Basic Car Repair Tools for DIY Maintenance
Many drivers are pretty handy when it comes to basic repairs for their Toyota or Honda. This skill is great because it gets you out of the house (or out of your wife’s hair when she wants to invite her friends over for wine and gossip). And it can save you money! Of course, it helps to have the right tools so you can get those maintenance tasks done quickly and correctly. Let’s build up the perfect kit of basic car tools!
- Pliers (standard and needlenose)
- Diagonal cutter
- Electrical Tape
- Vice Grips
- Retractable/”Stanley” Knife
- Wrench Set
- Socket Set and Ratchet (definitely have the ¼-inch and ⅜-inch sizes handy; depending on your vehicle, it may be advantageous to have a metric set)
- Tire Gauge
- Torque Wrench
- Tire Iron
- Penny (Tire Tread Depth Tools are available and inexpensive, but a penny is even cheaper. Simply stick President Lincoln’s head into the tread grooves and if he is entirely visible, it is time for new tires!)
Other Helpful Tools
- Floor Jack (great for tire maintenance)
- Creeper (perfect for when you need to do underbelly work)
- Safety Goggles
- Safety Mask
- Ear Plugs
- Latex Gloves
Where Should I Keep My Tools?
Many auto enthusiasts actually have at least two sets of basic tools and keep one in the garage (along with the bigger tools) and the other(s) in each vehicle they own. If you decide to only have one set of tools, store them in a toolbox. Keep the toolbox in a secure area of your vehicle. The trunk or under a seat are great spots. Whenever you use your tools, make sure to put them back in its designated place so you will always have them when needed.
Come to Allan Nott with Your Maintenance Questions and Needs!
Do you have any questions regarding the maintenance of your Toyota or Honda? Feel free to contact our service department, where our experts are always happy to help you out!